PREAMBLE – DECLARATION OF SCOPE AND PURPOSE. These Bylaws are hereby established and adopted by the Salem County Republican Committee (the committee) pursuant to the authority of N.J.S. 19:5-3, and are intended for use by the Committee for its proper government, and in providing for and promoting the orderly conduct of its meetings and business. By their initial adoption, these Bylaws shall have perpetual duration, from year to year, and shall remain in full force and effect without further formal action of the Committee, unless amended as provided herein.
ARTICLE I – MEMBERSHIP
1. MEMBERS. The members shall include those individuals serving the office of County Committee Chairperson, County Committee Vice-Chairperson, County Committee Treasurer, County Committee Secretary, State Committeeman, State Committeewoman, Municipal Chairpersons representing each Municipal Committee, Municipal Committeeman and Committeewoman of each voting district. All of whom duly represent the Republican Party in the election districts of Salem County.
2. TERM OF OFFICE. The terms of office shall be for one year, commencing with the reorganization meeting on the Tuesday following the Primary Election, except for the duly elected State Committeeman and Committeewoman who shall serve a four year term commencing on the Tuesday following the Primary Election in the year of the Gubernatorial Election, and the Municipal Committeeman and Committeewoman who shall serve a two year term commencing with their respective municipal reorganization on the Monday following the Primary Election.
3. VACANCIES. Municipal Committees: A vacancy in any Municipal Committee person or Chairperson shall be filled by a majority vote of those present at any Municipal Committee meeting. Those so elected at anytime other than the Regular Primary election shall be so certified by a letter to the County Chairperson from the Municipal Chairperson. County Committees: A vacancy occurring in the office of Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, and State Chairpersons shall be filled by a majority vote of those present at a regular county committee meeting for the remainder of the unexpired term.
4. QUALIFICATIONS. All members must be a registered Republican voter in Salem County maintaining a current residence within the district they represent and must be so certified to the County Chairperson as the duly elected representative in that office prior to exercising any rights as a member of the committee.
ARTICLE II – MEETINGS
1. ANNUAL MEETING. The annual meeting shall be held on the first Tuesday following the Primary Election of each year.
2. REGULAR MEETINGS. Regular meetings shall be called by the Chairperson as required to orderly conduct business.
3. NOTICE. Notice of all meetings shall be in writing to the entire membership.
4. QUORUM. The quorum for each meeting shall be twenty (20%) percent of the certified membership.
ARTICLE III – OFFICERS
1. CHAIRPERSON. The Chairperson’s function shall be to preside over all meetings of the Committee, and to perform such further duties as are authorized by Title 19 and by these Bylaws. The Chairperson shall serve until his successor is elected and shall be the official spokesperson for the Committee. The Chairperson shall be the chief administrative and executive officer of the Committee and shall be the sole leader of the Republican Party in Salem County. He or she shall be empowered: (i) to organize the Republican political structure of Salem County; (ii) to organize and manage the procedures for the selection of candidates for public office on a county level, or in municipalities where no Republican political organization exists; (iii) to promote, provide for and manage the raising of funds in accordance with the law; (iv) to provide for, manage, and finance campaigns for public office within the County of Salem; (v) nominate candidates for appointment to all non-elected offices within the governments of Salem County, the State of New Jersey, or the United States; (vi) to act and serve as the principal liaison to County, State and Federal Republican political organizations. The Chairperson shall have any such other additional or implied powers as may be necessary to carry out the foregoing duties and responsibilities.
2. VICE-CHAIRPERSON. The Vice-Chairperson must be a member of the opposite sex of the Chairperson. The Vice-Chairperson shall perform all duties of the Chairperson in the absence of the Chairperson, and any such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Chairperson. The Vice-Chairperson shall be elected
3 . TREASURER. The Chairperson shall appoint a Treasurer who shall serve as the chief financial officer of the Committee shall keep and maintain such bank accounts and financial records as are directed by the Chairperson and the membership. The Treasurer shall also prepare in a timely manner all Federal, State and County financial reports as required by laws governing this political body and provide these reports to the Chairperson. All account must be maintained with the requirement of joint access through two representatives. Those representatives of the committee shall be limited to the Treasurer, Chairperson, and Vice-Chairperson.
4. SECRETARY. The Chairperson shall appoint a Secretary whose duty it shall be to take and preserve minutes of the meetings of the Committee, and who shall perform such other further duties as may be assigned, from time to time, by the Chairperson.
5. OTHER OFFICERS. The Chairperson shall have sole discretion to designate additional positions and offices, without limitation, for purposes of assisting him in the management of the Committee and the Republican Party in Salem County, and for the general fulfillment of his political duties. The Chairperson shall be entitled to create and terminate such positions as he deems necessary and appropriate and, further, he or she shall be entitled to appoint individuals to fill such positions for terms not to exceed the duration of the Chairperson’s own term. Furthermore, the Chairperson shall be entitled, in his or her sole discretion, to relieve from duty any individuals so appointed to such positions for any reason.
ARTICLE IV – AMENDMENTS
1. AMENDMENTS TQ CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS. This Constitution and Bylaws may be amended, from time to time, by a vote of two-thirds of those members present at any duly noticed and convened meeting.
ARTICLE V – METHOD OF VOTING
1. STANDARD BALLOT. Voting by the membership shall be by voice vote, show of hands, standing and sitting, or by any other means which is reasonably calculated to accurately determine the will of the members.
2. WRITTEN BALLOT. Whenever there is a contested election for office, or when a majority of qualified members present vote to require a written secret ballot for a motion or resolution, the Chairperson shall cause a written secret ballot procedure to be enacted.
ARTICLE VI – CONDUCT OF BUSINESS
1. RULES GOVERNING During any meeting, no member may address the Committee who has not first been recognized by the Chairperson. All comments by members shall be addressed to the Chairperson, not to other individual members or groups of members. The Chairperson shall operate under the procedures as interpreted by him from Robert’s Rules of Order and New Jersey Title 19.
ARTICLE VII – EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
1. The Chairman shall be responsible for the supervision and management of the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee shall be the controlling body of all property and assets of the Salem County Republican Committee (SCRC) and shall be responsible for the conduct and direction of the business and the affairs of the SCRC.
2. The Salem County Republican Committee (SCRC) Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Treasurer, Secretary, and all the elected Republican Officers of the Nation, State and County, who reside in Salem County and are members of The Salem County Republican Committee, shall be members of the Executive Committee. In addition, the Chairman may appoint up to three (3) persons who must be registered Republicans residing in Salem County to serve as members of the Executive Committee.
ARTICLE VIII – ENDORSEMENTS
1. No person shall use the name of the Salem County Republican Committee to endorse an individual(s) for elective office or for a ballot question without the consent of the membership voting at a regular or special meeting.